Just got my oils! Now what?
Yay! So now what? Don’t be overwhelmed! Here are a few simple ideas to help you get started. When in doubt, just follow the label instructions. 😊 By the way, be sure to save the YL blog as a favorite in your browser. Check it often! youngliving.com/blog
1) Inhale. Put 1-2 drops on the wrists, rub them together, cup your hands a few inches from your face, and inhale. They absorb into your skin while you’re inhaling. When a YL essential oil is diffused, it’s inhaled and processed through the olfactory system, which then sends the therapeutic benefits of the aroma to the brain. Research the limbic system. It’s amazing! Depending on the plant’s specific chemical constituents, you may begin to feel the release of negative emotions, the soothing of muscle tension, or experience the cleansing effect of the oils as your body eliminates toxins. You’re also taking in more oxygen and breathing more deeply, which most of us are probably not doing regularly. Our bodies need oxygen. Diffusing is especially beneficial while you’re sleeping. Don’t use the oils in any kind of thin plastic humidifier.
2) Use them topically. According to doctor and researcher Jean Valnet, M.D., an essential oil that is directly applied to the skin can pass into the bloodstream and diffuse throughout the tissues (fully metabolize) in 20 minutes or less (all the more reason why you want to know your essential oil is the purest). More recent studies have also documented the ability of essential oils to penetrate the upper layer of the skin to reach the subdermal tissues and blood vessels beneath. Apply to feet of babies/children to avoid eyes. Use topically over a particular area of need. In some cases you will want to dilute the essential oils with a fatty oil of some kind, such as coconut oil or the carrier oil blend from Young Living called V-6. I rarely dilute for myself because I prefer convenience and speed. Note: The more medications and personal products containing chemicals you have used, the more likely your body may need time to detox those chemicals and your skin may require the dilution. If you see any redness or irritation, it could be a detox reaction. Rub that fatty oil on it to dilute, and put some lemon (or other citrus) oil in your water. Drink lots of water always.
3) Use internally. A drop under your tongue will give quick results when supporting your digestive system (Di-Gize). When you begin reading your books, you will find recipes for larger doses of oils in capsules. Educate yourself with the Essential Oils Desk Reference. It’s amazing. Drinking a drop or two of a citrus oil in your water is a gentle way to cleanse your body. Be sure to use glass or stainless steel when drinking the oils. You don’t want the oils dissolving those petrochemicals in your plastic cup and leaching them into your drinking water. For the chemical-free Thieves Cleaner, use a hard plastic spray bottle.
Here’s what I’d do if I were opening my box for the first time (notice I use language that complies with FDA regulations – no claims that they heal, prevent, can treat, cure, etc):
- One drop Lemon into a glass of water and sip on it while enjoying the oils.
- Inhale Frankincense to uplift and for immune system support.
- Diffuse Lavender or Citrus Fresh.
- Lavender and Frankincense can also go on the skin after being outside.
- Put a drop of Peppermint on the back of the neck for alertness and focus. Avoid eyes 🙂
- Rub a drop of Thieves on the bottoms of the feet or diffuse it to support your immune system.
- Rub PanAway on anywhere that you may experience normal soreness.
- Inhale Stress Away from the palms of your hands (or add the roller ball to it and use as a perfume!)
Use your diffuser often, specially at night for bedtime! Think of the Garden of Eden…they were in the elements 24/7, smelling all the plants all day long. You’ll LOVE trying various combinations in the evenings to help you rest deeply. Here’s another resource for using your oils: http://www.youngliving.com/en_US/wellness/about-essential-oils/using-essential-oils.html
I hope you find this helpful as you start to use your oils. And remember, consistency in use is key when it comes to seeing and experiencing all the benefits these little bottles can offer!