We’ve all heard the saying … “You are what you eat”. This simple yet powerful phrase is so true and packed with wisdom. What you eat doesn’t just flow and pass through your inner body – it actually makes up the basic building blocks of all your tissues, blood, and cells, including your skin cells! Our bodies are manufactured out of the food we consume. So, the minerals and nutrients you extract from what you eat literally become YOU! Water, essential fatty acids, antioxidants and potent cleansing foods are the most beneficial, edible nutrients for healthy glowing skin.
Incorporate these 4 simple diet tips on a daily basis to get healthy glowing skin that is nourished from the inside out:
Your body requires lots of water to carry the nutrients that your cells need to function properly and efficiently. This essential liquid is also vital to keep your skin hydrated and free of toxins; after all, the body is 75% water.
As you become older, your body’s water content naturally decreases and you develop wrinkles. Staying properly hydrated every day can help slow down the aging process, prevent clogged pores, and keep your skin radiant longer!
The amount of water you need to drink varies depending on your body type, climate, overall skin condition, and level of physical activity. Rather than counting ounces, just make sure to always have some water with you and take a drink at lease once every hour. A good rule of thumb is to drink ½ of your body weight in fluid ounces per day.
And remember, if you feel thirsty and notice that your urine is bright yellow, that usually means that you are dehydrated and need to drink more.
2. GET YOUR ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS
Essential fatty acids (or EFA’s), as the name suggests, are fats that are vital in the human body. They are necessary for building and protecting healthy cell membranes. These “good fats” surround your cells and keep water and nutrients inside while allowing toxins and waste to easily pass out.
Healthy glowing skin is made up of plump water-filled cells with strong and stable membranes. But if you don’t have enough essential fatty acids in your body, the cells become weak, and this can lead to saggy skin and dryness. These fatty acids are called ‘essential’ because they are not produced by your own body and therefore must be consumed through food.
The following power-foods are among the most naturally rich in Omega-3 fatty acids that your body and skin need for optimum health:
- Salmon, sardines, hallibut and other fish
- Flax seeds
- Chia seeds
- Olive oil
- Flax seed oil
- Fish oil
- Sacha inchi seeds
- Coconut oil
3. LOAD UP ON ANTIOXIDANTS
Antioxidants are nutrients that help protect and repair cells from damage caused by free radicals. These nutrients can help counteract the negative effects of things like chemicals in the air and water, cigarette smoke, too much sun exposure, and even the body’s own normal oxidation process. Especially in today’s environment, antioxidants are crucial to your health.
Including plenty of antioxidants in your diet prevents cellular decay, slows down the aging process, and keeps your skin looking youthful and radiant. Fortunately, Mother Nature provides an abundant supply of these nutrient powerhouses in whole fruits and vegetables.
Here are some excellent (and delicious!) sources of antioxidants to support your healthy glowing skin regimen:
- Berries: Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, cranberries, strawberries. Load up in the summer when they are fresh and local.
- Beans: Don’t forget to soak for easier digestibility.
- White tea: Contains more antioxidants and less caffeine than green tea!
- Brightly colored fruits & veggies: The brightest tend to have more antioxidants.
- Dark leafy greens: Kale, spinach, collards, etc.
- Artichokes: Delicious cooked with garlic as a side dish.
- Small amounts of dark chocolate: Minimum 70% cocoa content.
4. ADD CLEANSING FOODS
The regular elimination of toxins and waste from the body is essential to maintaining healthy glowing skin. Just like periodic cleansing is necessary for digestive health, including cleansing foods in your diet will effectively remove cellular waste and reduce inflammation, keeping you healthy and your skin clear, youthful and more radiant.
Aim to add more of these top 7 cleansing foods to your diet to support healthy glowing skin:
- Lemon: Squeeze into your water and drink first thing in the morning. Also great as salad dressing.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: (raw, unfiltered, unprocessed) Add 1/2 tsp to your lemon water in the morning.
- Ginger: Goes great in Asian recipes,in your smoothie, or as a tea.
- Turmeric: Great as a hot tea (mixed with ginger) or sprinkled on sautéed vegetables.
- Chamomile: As hot or cold tea.
- Garlic: Eat raw for most benefits, great in salads or pesto. Also great in sautéed vegetables.
- Dark leafy greens: Best raw in salads and smoothies. Also great cooked.
I hope you find these diet tips helpful for getting healthy glowing skin. If so, please share them with your friends and family so they too can start improving the health of their skin from the inside out.
And don’t stop here, now that you know what to eat for gorgeous skin, take your skin’s radiance to the next level with these 4 simple LIFESTYLE tips for rocking beautiful, healthy glowing skin.
Do you have a helpful healthy skin tip of your own? Please share with us and add them to the comments below so we can all benefit. Thank you!
Love + healthy skin,